Here’s a great opportunity for you to fish a middle beat on the River Tay, Scotland, at a prime time of year.
For 4 nights, 21st to 25th September, 2014, we will be staying in a comfortable apartment on the banks of the beat from and you will be able to walk to the fishing hut from there.
We will be on a fabulous 2 mile stretch of double bank fishing
with a boat available and gillie on hand, as well as myself to help with spay casting tuition and fishing tips.
At the moment there are still places available, but they will go quickly so please contact me here for more details to reserve your spot.
See more information below.
3 Days For Just £375 Inclusive
To be held at:
Friars Carse Hotel
on the River Nith in Dumfriesshire, March 26th to 28th, 2012
This course is designed for both newcomers to the sport and those who have taken it up recently and need to learn more about fishing for Salmon. If you have never done it before or you have trouble covering the river effectively this is course for you!
We will be covering all of the following topics over the 3 days and you will be fishing the river with all the casts we will show you.
- Equipment set up and how maintain it
- Wading safely
- Roll and Jump Roll
- Spey Casts
- Snap casts
- Line management Knots
- Reading the water
- The use of shooting heads and Skagit lines
- Fly selection and tying
- Other methods used for fishing for Salmon
You will be using the casts we teach to cover the pools we allocate and there is a chance of a Spring Salmon or a Kelt, so be prepared.
The cost of the course is:
- £375 inclusive of 3 nights Dinner, B&B and all tuition and fishing.
- Hardy & Greys rods lines will be available for you to use.
- Bring your trout rods as you will also have some Grayling fishing whilst you are here.
- There are only 6 places available so book now to avoid disappointment.
- Your lead Instructor will be Tim Gaunt-Baker A.A.P.G.A.I
- Introduction to Salmon fishing and the river Nith a Power point presentation
- Understanding the mechanics of the Rod and line, Reel set up etc.
- A group session covering the Roll Cast and the Jump Roll (Accelerated Roll cast)
- Split into pairs and practice these two casts.
- We will be around to help you perfect these.
- Move on to the Single Spey cast if appropriate.
- Evening workshop- Leaders and Knots
- Look at lines and their uses, Floating, Sink tip, Intermediate, and Sinking Lines
- Group session on the Single Spey from both banks
- Work on the Single Spey cast, from either Bank. Understand the faults.
- Group session on the Double Spey cast
- Move on to the Double Spey and work through your allocated pool
- Evening session- Flies for all seasons
- What to look for when fishing –Reading the Water
- Some other methods used for fishing for Salmon.
- Followed by a Group session.
- Snap casts and their uses.
- Shooting Head and Skagit Lines: where and when to use them.
- Practice the Snap casts, Use the shooting heads and Skagit lines.
- Final session we will go through all the casts, one by one and sorting out any problems as we progress. A CD with all you have learnt and casting notes will be available for you to take home.
- Close and depart 5pm or if you wish to stay a further night and fish the next day this can be arranged.
This is what it is all about!
Where You Will Be Staying
Friars Carse Hotel – Dumfries
Set in a 45 acre estate including woodland extending to the banks of the River Nith, the 3 star country house hotel, with its magnificent panelled entrance hall and elegant staircase, offers guests a warm welcome with a well-furnished spacious lounge with views over the garden and river, a comfortable bar and a panelled snooker room with full sized table. The hotel has a lift to all floors.
The 21 en suite bedrooms have remote control television, telephone, hairdryer and tea/coffee making facilities.
Contact me here to book your place on this course.